Saturday, November 7, 2009

Episode XV: Smoking a big fatty

So Girl Child wants to know what I'm doing this weekend and I say " helping with your Halloween party and then relaxing the next day by smoking a big fatty". She kind of gives me an "uh huhhhhh... What?" And I say "You know - a big fatty rolled in bacon and stuffed with cheese. It'll be perfect".





I think she left around then, but of course, can't let teenage girls distract you from legitimate fun.






Again, I am leaving the fold of Big Bob and going out on my own. Similar to the previous bacon explosion, I made a weave of bacon and a 2 pound layer of spicy Italian sausage, but then deviated with a layer of cream cheese, a layer of onions and pablano pepper I had grilled with bacon and garlic, and then a layer of sharp cheddar on top. Rolled her up and popped on the cooker. About 30 minutes from completion I slathered her in some sauce.










As predicted, came out Grrrreat! A few conclusions:


  • It was harder to spread the cream cheese than I predicted. Next time I want it at room temperature


  • At first I was disappointed I didn't use jalapeno because the pepper didn't come through, but when we ate the left overs a couple days later, it was great. Kind of like the pepper had soaked into the cheese more. Makes me think this is a great dish to cook ahead.



  • Also, I used a thinner bacon this time and I think it worked better. Still added good flavor and held it together, but the fat cooked up very well and I didn't see the kids trying to pick any off. And I just use everything left over from the weave in the veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment