Thursday, August 13, 2009

Episode VII - Pork Chops

Question: If it says to cook for 8 minutes per side and baste during the last 3 minutes, what does that mean? Cook one side for 8 minutes then the 2nd side for 5, then flip and baste the bottom, then flip again and baste the top then allow the bottom to cook for 3 more minutes? Have I wasted 3 minutes with all that flipping? Maybe its cook 5, flip and cook 5, flip, baste and cook 3, flip baste the other side and cook the final 3? Argh. Grilling is not supposed knot my brain.



Anyway.... back to that later.


I didn't get to cook this weekend. Birthday dinner with my son, dinner out with friends, etc. Life can be so cruel! So I needed something a little quicker to prepare for Tuesday. Hence the Grilled Chops with Apple-Cranberry Maple Glaze on page 63. On Monday night I whipped up the brine and popped them in the fridge. Not much to look at so far.







Tuesday it was time to get rolling after dropping my girl child off at at her YAG meeting (don't ask). As usual, when I'm in a rush it takes a while to get the fire going and this was no exception. However, an hour and a half later we're at 450 and ready to go. Or am I? Turns out it is time to go and retrieve aforementioned girl child. Fortunately, using my finely honed negotiating skills learned from years of dealing with territorial control in corporate America I convinced The Wife we were all better off if she would go get girl child and I would have some perfectly prepared chops ready upon her return. Whew. And that left enough time for just a little more run punch left over from the party too. So.... on go the chops and check them out after 8 minutes and the first flip!


Then 5 minutes on the 2nd side, flip, baste, flip baste and then 3 more minutes. Hey, they look just like the picture! These things came out perfect. Incredibly moist and the glaze was really, really good. Family loved them. :-)

Answer: I think correct procedure should be 5 min, flip, 5 min, baste, flip, 3 min, baste, flip, 3 min. Why? The glaze is better when it has caramelized a little and that only happened when on the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment