Sunday, August 2, 2009

Episode VI.b

I got busy and failed to post about day 2 of cooking. First I should mention that the when I pulled the pork it was fantastic, most tender pork I have ever made on the grill, crock pot, anywhere. Just remarkable. Not sure how much credit to give to the Komodo which gives so much more control and moisture, or the the Chris Lilly recipe or maybe even to the cut of meat with the skin on. In any case, all three factors certainly came together well here.

Friday evening I made up three of the sauces as I mentioned before. The mustard sauce was most popular with the kids and was nice and sweet. Gotta talk about the pig dip though. It came out way to vinegary for me. Holy cow. Bear in mind I'm a Kansas City native who's spent the last 20 years in Texas, so in my mind BBQ sauce is tomato based. So I went back and doubled all of the other ingredients which diluted the vinegar and I ended up putting in 4X the Tabasco. Much, much better now. Whew. Feel kind of proud of myself for saving it. :-) Unfortunately the Mojo sauce is pretty questionable. The Oregano seems to dominate, but rather than mess with this one I think I will let it sit for a day. Let's see what some ageing does to these.




The brisket started off on the right foot. The paste is excellent, but I had nice big 12 pounder and I had to triple the recipe to get enough to thoroughly coat the whole. Mother nature was kind of conspiring against me though. Rain, rain, rain. Argh! Supposed to clear out by Noon tomorrow. We shall see...

And..... just to add some complexity .... I've already goofed up the bean recipe. I failed to soak them overnight. I had re-read the directions earlier in the day, but the comment about soaking was over in the ingredients, not the directions. Ugh. So they're only getting about 2 hours of soak.



Eventually I got the beans and the brisket on about 11:00 PM so I could head to bed and finish everything in the morning. (You can see the bean pot tucked under the brisket)





No comments:

Post a Comment