Friday, July 31, 2009

Episode VI - Party Time! Pork Shoulder & Bare Naked Brisket

The Wife has announced it is time to be more social with the cooker and so we're having our annual summer party. That means multiple opportunities for "Big Bob Gibson". Plans are to try the World Championship Pork Shoulder (page 53) and the other brisket on page 91. The pork requires the vinegar sop mop on page 222 and just for the heck of it I will make the Carolina Mustard Sauce on 228, the Caribbean Mojo Sauce on 236 and the Western Carolina Pig Dip on 224. I have plenty of red sauces already in the frig so I figure these are nice compliments.

I am not aware of the local Wal-Mart carrying a bone in, skin on, full pork shoulder so to step up my game a little I've decided to move up to an authentic Texas butcher for some manly meat. So, yesterday afternoon it was over to Hamm's Custom Meats just off the main square in downtown McKinney TX. Some of the nicest people work in there. I was almost caught by the "no credit cards" rule, but am now the proud owner of 16 pounds of pig.





After dinner last night I whipped up the rub, the injection and the mop. The recipe clearly says to use all the injection, but about halfway through it seemed loaded with fluid coming out of the other holes, so I didn't hit that goal. Also, honestly a little confused with the amount of bone in here. I would've expected more meat, but oh well, it is what it is.






Had a little trouble getting the fire going at the right temp. Almost suffocated it. I think I need one of those Stokers or Guru's to manage the airflow in the bottom. Will have to spend more time investigating that. Anyway, got the thing going about 10:30 last. Goal was to let it cook overnight so I could deal with the mop and such today.








Check it out, here's the shoulder. Smells fantastic. Seemed to cook a little faster than expected. I took it off after 13 hours. Basted 3 times with the mop and internal temp had been around 195 for a couple hours. The blade bone twisted off easily in my hand. I'll let it sit a little then pull it and set it aside till tomorrow morning.








1 comment:

  1. "The Wife" here . . . Glad to say I worked from home today - and so have just done a taste test! All I can say is YUM!!! And that with 16 hours down and another 16 or so hours of cooking left to go, our neighbours are going to be going crazy with the fantastic smells emanating from our backyard. Way ta go, Wiley!

    ReplyDelete