Sunday, July 19, 2009

Episode IV.b - Plateaus

I complained in III about the temp leveling off. I sort of blamed the thermometer. Well, turned out I just didn't know my chemistry! As MGuerra explained over on the Komodo Kamado forum "As the meat temperature rises, it will hit a plateau and stop rising for quite some time. During this time the fat and tough connective tissue are being broken down and the meat becomes tender. Don't try to short circuit this process. Keep your cooker temperature set and resist the temptation to raise it. Wait out the plateau and let it do its' thing. Eventually all the tough connective tissue will dissolve, tenderizing the meat, and the temp will start rising again."

Mystery solved. (Although the solution, "patience", is a lot harder to implement. Guess I needed another beer....)

No comments:

Post a Comment