Thursday, July 16, 2009

Episode II

Ok, back to the story....


I fired up the Komodo and began cooking as soon as it arrived (of course). I've managed to make some great steaks (love how it gets hotter than my gasser). Some Worchestershire and Montreal Steak seasoning, sear on both sides for a few minutes and I've got a great medium rare.

However, the turkey was very tender, but a little salty (probably didn't get all the brine off).




The loaf pan chicken came out well. Very tender and moist.



My ribs were very flavorful, however, not as tender as I would've expected. (Yes, I went a little overboard and made 6 different types by varying the rub and the glaze. Hey, I'm an excitable guy). And the baked potatos were a little undercooked.










So what's going on? I am clearly not the grill master that I want to be. The cooking times and temperatures are clearly different from my other smoker and I'm starting to get frustrated. After carefully putting all variables into a spreadsheet, running some regression tests and then some quality meditation time sipping margaritas by the pool (thanks MG) I came to my epiphany.....


.....The one complete success was when I followed Chris Lilly's recipe for the chickens. And so.... now begins my quest. I've gone off to Amazon and purchased his book, Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book and have it here in my hands. Heck, I've even read the intro. I am clearly ready to go. I will work my way through the book and by the end be a master. Or if not that, then hopefully I'll have received more entertainment value for my $20 than I can shake a stick at.

Those backseat cooks who never hesitate to shout advice from their lounge chair might suggest that I start at the begining, but my analysis indicates that the first chapter is pork and what I have here is clearly a briskit. So this weekend we're heading direct to page 89 and championship beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment